Impaled Northern Moonforest is the "brainchild"
of former Anal Cunt members Josh Martin and Seth Putnam. At three o'clock one
frostbitten morning of 1997 they were bored and decided to make a true (joke)
Norwegian style black metal band. However, there was someone sleeping nearby so
they couldn't use an electric guitar or drum kit, so they used an acoustic
guitar with Seth slapping his knees and a mattress for percussion.
Anyway, here are some random facts about
Impaled Northern Moonforest:
- They have never practised, as practising is for posers
- There are no known photos of them recording or performing (that was
- The creative process involved in thinking up song titles involved "thinking
of dumb sounding names we thought would fit into that whole black metal
- There are no real lyrics except for the occasional "Satan" or
some other blasphemous inverted word
- Impaled Northern Moonforest have played between 5 and 10 shows, all taking
place in the Boston area, Rhode Island, Colorado and Japan. There are no
plans for any new shows, but plans aren't usually made for new shows (they
- Only 200 copies were made of their first album. This is because they were
under the impression that no more than 4 or so people would buy a copy. When
I emailed him about this, Seth (the singer) said that at first he thought
that 200 copies was too many
- Seth doesn't actually listen to much black metal, or know much about it
except that he doesn't like most black metal bands that have been around
since the mid 1980s onwards.
- There are no plans for a full length album, and it is very unlikely (yet
still possible) that one will be made. "I can't imagine anyone wanting
to hear a full length I.N.M. record, or I can't imagine us wanting to record
that much. Anything's possible though" writes Seth.
- Seth was really helpful when I was making this site
- The song titles on the self titled album are completely different to the
original titles. Seth "lost the original demo cover like a moron"
(his words). As a result, he often loses sleep knowing that such avante
garde brutality is forever lost. There were a couple of copies of the
demo with the original cover sold. If you own a copy of this demo please get
in contact with Seth (just click the contact picture on the left)
- All the songs were improvised - singing, guitar and knee slapping. Tabs
are not available. Josh has this to say about tabs: "Sorry but there
are no INM tabs. Obviously that would be impossible. Even if I could tab the
songs out, the evilness of the riffs would cause the paper to crumble into
the very depths of Hell."
- Seth has written a song title that contains about 10 variants of the word
"Abazagorath" (such as Abazagoration, Abazagorizing etc.) and will
give it to me for the site when he finds it.
- In the first song (Grim and Frostbitten Moongoats of the North), you can
hear Seth coughing. It was from a cold he got while doing something scary in
the inverted northernmost necroforest of a;kjsdhfyoagtaffffzz
- Impaled Northern Moonforest has generated a bit of interest, with a "pretty
decent amount" of people email Seth for more information.
- Seth hasn't heard of the black metal band Abazagorath and agrees they must
be some posers. (INM formed in 1997, Abazagorath claim to have been around
since 1995, but they're probably just saying that to hide their poserness).